Type B Administrative Certificate
To qualify for a regular Type B Administrative certificate, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- At least three (3) years experience as a certificated teacher or special service provider
- Completion of an approved teacher education program in school administration
- Master’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution
- Recommendation of the preparing institution
- Six (6) semester hours or nine quarter hours of credit earned during the five-year period preceding the date of application (See below.)
- Three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska studies and three semester hours of approved multicultural education/cross-cultural communications**
- Complete application packet, which includes a signed and notarized application, the institutional recommendation form, official transcripts, two sets of completed fingerprint cards, and all processing fees (All fees are non-refundable.)
The regular Type Be Administrative certificate is valid for five (5) years and is renewable.
To renew a five-year certificate, applicants must meet the following requirements prior to the expiration date of their certificate:
- Renewal credit (Six semester hours of credit taken during the life of the f certificate being renewed. A minimum of three semester hours must be upper division or graduate credit.)
- Verification of current employment in an Alaska public school district in a position requiring a certificate. If an applicant is not employed in this capacity at the time of renewal, a fingerprint card will be required.
- Complete application and fees (All fees are non-refundable.)
For certificates issued on September 2, 2011 and beyond, the six renewal credits earned must be:
- Related to the certificated person’s employment at the time of renewal, if the employment requires a certificate;
- Related to the certificated person’s endorsements, or
- A required element of a program that will lead to an endorsement under 4 AAC 12.395 that the certificated person seeks to acquire.
**Provisional Type B Administrator
Applicants meeting all other requirements for certification, but who lack six (6) semester hours of credit earned during the five-year period preceding the date of application or lack three (3) semester hours of credit in Alaska studies and/or three (3) semester hours of credit in multicultural education or cross-cultural communications, may apply for a non-renewable Provisional Type B Administrative certificate, valid for two years.
In order to avoid a lapse in certification, the Provisional Type B Administrative certificate holder must submit official transcripts to the Teacher Certification office showing the completion of three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska studies (AK) coursework and the completion of three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska (MC) multicultural coursework prior to the expiration date of the Provisional certificate. In addition, prior to the expiration date of their certificate, the Provisional certificate holders must apply for the five-year regular Type B Administrative certificate.
Superintendent endorsements require a completed Institutional Recommendation showing completion of an approved superintendency program from a regionally accredited university and verification of at least five (5) years of employment as a classroom teacher or administrator. (At least three years must have been satisfactory employment as a teacher with a teaching certificate or comparable certificate issued by another state. At least one year must have been satisfactory employment as an administrator with a Type B certificate or comparable certificate from another state.)
Special Education Administrator Endorsement
Special education administrator endorsements require a completed Institutional Recommendation showing completion of an approved special education administrative program from a regionally accredited university and verification of at least three years of employment as a certified special education teacher or school psychologist, with a teaching or special services certificate or comparable certificate issued by another state.
Director of Special Education
If you wish to be employed solely as the administrator or director of special education and are not eligible for a special education administrator endorsement, you must possess both a Type B certificate and a teaching certificate endorsed for special education or for a related services specialty. (This does not constitute an endorsement.) 4 AAC 12.350
Please note: To be assigned as a classroom teacher in Alaska, you must have a valid teacher certificate (Initial, Professional, or Master). The Type B does not allow the holder to be a classroom teacher.
If you currently hold a valid Alaska teaching certificate and are applying for a Type B certificate, you are considered an initial applicant for the Type B.