McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children
& Youth - Title X
Homeless Children & Children In Transition Have the
Right to a Free, Appropriate Public Education
Statewide Toll Free Number 1-877-854-5437
Under the McKinney Vento Act, a child is homeless if he/she does not have a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
Examples of Homeless Situations
as defined in the McKinney Vento Act)
- Children and youths who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason. Commonly called doubling-up.
- Children and youth living in motels, hotels, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations.
- Children and youth living in emergency or transitional shelters, abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement.
- Children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.
- Unaccompanied youths or runaways. Children in this situation can be described as couch surfers, chronically spending a few nights at one friend’s home then moving on to another.
- School District's Title X Responsibilities
- AK School Districts Homeless Liaisons Contact Information
- State Guidance Immunization
- Family Resources
- Administrator & Enrollment Resources
- Teacher Resources
- Alaska Complaint/Dispute Resolution Procedures - pdf
April 2014 Homeless Education Training
Presentations and Handouts
- Agenda for Alaska McKinney-Vento Training - word
- McKinney-Vento Nuts & Bolts - powerpoint
- Alaska Scenarios - word
- Local Homelessness Policy - word
- Up Your Sleeve Handout - word
- Serving Young Children Experiencing Homelessness: The Early Childhood Landscape - powerpoint
- Early Care and Education Chart - word
- Early Care and Education Infrastructure Grid - word
- Early Care and Education Resource List - word
Alaska Department of Education & Early Development
ATTN: Kay Streeter, Program Manager
Homeless Education Program
801 West 10th Street, Suite 200
P.O. Box 110500
Juneau, AK 99811-0500
Telephone: (907) 465-3826