Assessment, Accountability and Student Information
National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)
The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), also known as "the Nation's Report Card," is the only nationally representative and continuing assessment of what America's students know and can do in various subject areas. Since 1969, assessments have been conducted periodically in reading, mathematics, science, writing, U.S. history, civics, geography, and the arts.
In the winter of 2013 (from January 28-March 8, 2013), schools in Alaska took part in grade 4 and grade 8 NAEP reading and mathematics assessments. The NAEP in grade 4 and grade 8 reading and mathematics is given every other year; the 2013 administration was the sixth administration of NAEP in Alaska since 2003.
The Alaska profile is available on the NAEP web site. This profile presents key data about Alaska's student and school population, NAEP testing history, and results. The profiles also contain links to the most recent state report cards for all available subjects.
Parent Notification Letter - word
2013 Alaska NAEP Reading Snapshots
2013 Alaska NAEP Mathematics Snapshots
Illustrating Student Achievement on Alaska’s New Mathematics Standards Using NAEP Questions
NAEP questions that have a close alignment with some of Alaska’s new mathematics standards are used to illustrate or suggest current levels of student achievement for the new standards. This project is not intended to make any predictions about how students will do on any future assessments but may have instructional implications in terms of showing students’ current strengths and weaknesses. NAEP releases some items after each NAEP administration and gives performance data for the nation and states for each released item.
Operations and Algebraic Thinking Domain: Grade 4 - pdf
Number and Operations - Fractions Domain: Grade 4 - pdf
Number and Operations in Base Ten Domain: Grade 4 - pdf
Ratios and Proportianal Relationships Domain: Grade 7 - pdf
Expression and Equations Domain: Grade 8 - pdf
Functions Domain: Grade 8 - pdf
- NAEP 2013 Accommodations for Students with Disabilities - pdf
- NAEP 2013 Accommodations for English Language Learners - pdf
2011 Alaska Grade 8 Science Results
- 2011 Alaska NAEP Science Snapshot - pdf
- 2011 Alaska NAEP Science Highlights - pdf
- NAEP Grade 8 Science - Quiz Yourself!- pdf
- Academic Rigor: Where Are We Now
- Grade 4
- Looking at Student Reading Achievement and Increasing Rigor Using Grade 4 NAEP Item Maps and Percentile Graphs - ppt
- Whats the Buzz? - pdf
- Grade 8
- NAEP Assessment Toolbox for
The NAEP Assessment Toolbox for Teachers is a collection of classroom activities using released questions from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). The NAEP is often called the gold standard of assessment and NAEP questions are held in high regard for their ability to assess both content and critical thinking.
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (Nation's Report Card)
- Information for Parents About the Nation's Report Card
- Explore the NAEP Questions Tool for Teachers for examples of the kinds of questions NAEP asks in its assessments
- Explore NAEP Data in more detail by using the Data Explorer
- The NAEP assessments follow the frameworks developed by the National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB), and use the latest advances in assessment methodology
- Examine the NAEP schedule of assessments