To qualify for a regular Type C Special Services certificate, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of a program in a special service area
- Bachelor’s or higher degree
- Recommendation of the preparing institution
- Six semester hours or nine (9) quarter hours of credit taken within the past five years
- Three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska studies and three (3) semester hours of multicultural education/cross-cultural communications
- Complete application packet, which includes a signed and notarized application, an institutional recommendation form, official transcripts, two sets of completed fingerprint cards, and all fees. (All fees are non-refundable.)
The regular Type C Special Services certificate is valid for five (5) years and is renewable.
To renew a five-year certificate, applicants must meet the following requirements prior to the expiration date of their certificate:
- Renewal credit (Six semester hours of credit taken during the life of the certificate being renewed. A minimum of three semester hours must be upper division or graduate credit.)
- Verification of current employment in an Alaska public school district in a position requiring a certificate. If an applicant is not employed in this capacity at the time of renewal, a fingerprint card will be required.
- Complete application and fees (All fees are non-refundable.)
For certificates issued on September 2, 2011 and beyond, the six renewal credits earned must be:
- Related to the certificated person’s employment at the time of renewal, if the employment requires a certificate;
- Related to the certificated person’s endorsements, or
- A required element of a program that will lead to an endorsement under 4 AAC 12.395 that the certificated person seeks to acquire.
**Provisional Type C Special Services Certificate
Applicants meeting all other requirements for certification, but who lack six (6) semester hours of credit earned during the five-year period preceding the date of application or lack three (3) semester hours of credit in Alaska studies and/or three (3) semester hours of credit in multicultural education or cross-cultural communications, may apply for a non-renewable Provisional Type C Special Services certificate, valid for two years.
In order to avoid a lapse in certification, the Provisional Type C Special Services certificate holder must submit official transcripts to the Teacher Certification office showing the completion of 3 semester hours of approved Alaska studies (AK) coursework and the completion of 3 semester hours of approved Alaska multicultural (MC) coursework prior to the expiration date of the Provisional certificate. In addition, prior to the expiration date of their certificate, the Provisional certificate holders must apply for the five-year regular Type C Special Services certificate.
Type C Endorsements
Endorsements under a Type C certificate include audiology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, school nursing, school psychology, school psychometry, school social work, speech pathology, school counselor, and library science-media.
For an endorsement in school psychology, you must also hold a master’s or higher degree in school psychology; be recommended by an institution whose school psychology program has been approved by NCATE, the National Association of School Psychologists, or the American Psychological Association; and have completed a 1200 hour internship (with 600 of the hours in a school setting); or be certified under the certification system of the National Association of School Psychologists.
Speech, Language, or Hearing
For endorsement in speech, language, or hearing, you must hold either a master’s or higher degree with a major emphasis in speech-language pathology, audiology, or speech-language and hearing science; or possess certification of clinical competence from the American Speech Language-Hearing Association. In addition, you must be recommended for endorsement by an institution with a program approved by NCATE or the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
If you wish to be employed to provide such services as speech or language pathology, school psychology, school counseling, orientation and mobility, psychometry, library and/or media services, or school nursing, you must have a Type C Special Services Certificate endorsed in the field of employment.
Please note: A Type C certificate does not qualify the holder for assignment as a classroom teacher or school administrator.