Alaska Alternate Assessment
Save the Date!
Annual Mentor Training
January 21 - January 22, 2015
The purpose of the Alternate Assessment is to provide an opportunity for students with significant cognitive disabilities (SWSCD) to have access to, participate in, and make progress in the general education curriculum in compliance with state and federal law. It is expected that only a small number (less than two percent) of all students will participate in an alternate assessment in spring 2014. Alaska’s alternate assessments cover the content areas of reading, writing, and mathematics for students in grades 3 through 10, and science for students in grades 4, 8, and 10.
ALTERNATE ASSESSMENT - ENGLISH/LANGUAGE ARTS, MATHEMATICS
Alaska recently joined the Dynamic Learning Maps Consortium (DLM) whose dedication is ensuring that all students have the best possible testing experience and designing new Alternate Assessments in English Language Arts and Mathematics for students with severe cognitive disabilities. Full implementation scheduled for spring 2015.
- Alternate Assessment Online Assessment Site for ELA/Math
- Alternate Assessment Online Assessment Site for Science
Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) Essential Elements are specific statements of knowledge and skills linked to the grade-level expectations identified in the Alaska Standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics. The purpose of the Alaska – DLM Essential Elements is to build a bridge from the content in the Alaska Standards to academic expectations for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities.
- DLM Video Presentation on the Essential Elements
- Alaska DLM Essential Elements - ELA/Math
- Extended Grade Level Expectations, Science - pdf, word
ACCOMMODATIONS & PARTICIPATION
Effective September 2014, students eligible for the Alternate Assessment must take the Alternate in English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Science.
NOTE: Alaska is currently revising the Accommodations Manual and Participation Guidelines; a draft for public comment will be available on September 22, 2014.
- Participation Guidelines for the Alaska – DLM Alternate Assessment - pdf
- Participation Guidelines for Alaska Students in State Assessments, December 2014 edition - pdf
- Alternate Assessment Calendar of Important Dates - pdf
- Alternate Assessment Mentor and SPED Director's Training - January 21-22, 2015
District Test Coordinator Resources
- 2014 Alternate Assessment Proficiency Scores - pdf
- Assessment Results
- FERPA - Protecting Student Privacy - pdf
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Test Security Agreements
- Web Reporting System User Manual - pdf
- Alternate Assessment Technical Reports
- Essential Elements with Instructional Examples for ELA & Math
- Alternate Assessment Lead Mentors 2014-2015
- Practice Tests for Reading, Writing, Math and Science
- 2014 Educator Guide to Interpreting the Individual Student Report for the Alternate Assessment
- Common Misperceptions and Research Based Recommendations for Alternate Assessment - pdf
- Student Assistive Technology Needs and Communication Systems - pdf
- Unofficial vs. Official Student Reports - pdf
- Accessibility Manual for the Dynamic Learning Maps Alternate Assessment, 2014-15, ELA and Math - pdf
- 2014 Parent Guide to Interpreting the Individual Student Report for the Alternate Assessment
- Rethinking Assumptions about Alternate Assessment - pdf
CONFERENCES & PRESENTATIONS
- Alternate Assessment Getting Started Webinar - pptx
- Getting Started Webinar Recording - mov
- Getting Started Webinar Participant Notes - pdf
- First Contact Survey - pdf
- Personal Needs & Preferences Questions - pdf
- Alternate Assessment Lead Mentors' and SPED Directors' Training Materials January 2015